During the end of the fall 2007 semester of my undergraduate studies, I coincidentally encountered an ad for columnist positions with the student-run newspaper at the University of Illinois. In January 2008, I began writing weekly for the Daily Illini. After all was said and done, my Drawing Coffee column ran for two years.
By two years, I mean my column ran once a week almost the entire time I worked for the DI–spring 2008, half of summer 2008, fall 2008, spring 2009, all of summer 2009, and finally fall 2009. I graduated in December 2009 and plan to continue my opinions work online regularly after taking a brief break to take care of personal business.
Comments and constructive criticisms are always appreciated, even on my old work. For convenience, columns are archived under categories for both semester and month. Some categories have incorrect time overlaps because of the parent category system (example: a column written in May 2009 for summer semester I is listed under both Spring 2009 and Summer 2009 because I created the May 2009 category under Spring 2009 as a parent category).
Recent updates include:
- The second Drawing Coffee Original: a discussion of the fracas over National Day of Prayer
- The first Drawing Coffee Original–my first strictly online, my-site-only opinions column
- Finished adding columns from Fall 2009 (late August through mid-December)
- Completed Summer 2009 (mid-May through early August)
- Added remaining columns from Spring 2009 (January through early May)